Maybe it was due to the fact that both his parents died when he was 3 years old; or that he attended a boarding school located next to a cemetery. In fact, his gym class or maths lessons sometimes took place among the tombstones.
Other fun facts about the author:
- He had drinking and gambling problems.
- His poem “The Raven” was inspired by Charles Dickens’ pet bird.
- Edgar Allan Poe was dismissed from the army for “gross neglect of duty”.
- He secretly married Virginia Clemm, his cousin, when she was 13 years old. She died of tuberculosis 11 years later.
- The author died under mysterious circumstances: he disappeared for one week on his way from Richmond, Virginia, to Philadelphia. He was eventually found in Baltimore, drunk and wearing somebody else’s clothes, and was taken to a hospital where he died a few days later. Only 7 people attended his funeral.
- Edgar Allan Poe passed away 10 days before his wedding to Elmira Royster Shelton.
- His beloved cat Catterina died at the same time as him.
(Amazon Associates link)